Paddle boards are always exciting when you think of an adventure sport. However being aware of the safety tips will give you an edge when you try standing on the paddle board.
Before getting to the hot topic of standing on the paddle board, ask a few important questions to yourself:
Are you a strong swimmer?
If you haven’t learned to swim, then it is best to wear a lifejacket. This small step will give you immense confidence.
What area of water are you paddling in?
Know the type of rapids and currents on which you will be riding on. It is very important to know the type and timings of the tides so that you won’t be caught in the period of high tides.
How Often you will be Paddling?
While riding on the tides, it is important that you know the type of weather in which you will be riding in. If the weather is hot, then you should have applied sunscreen and should wear brim hat. This will protect you from the reflection of sun off the water.
Similarly, in the cooler conditions, you should be all dressed in appropriate clothing. Also take all the appropriate accessories like backpack and water bottles while you go out.
Finally, you have dawned upon the area where you will be getting all tips for paddling:
Put on Your Leash: Putting a leash on will naturally save you in dire times. At circumstances when you might fall and loose your board, then leash can help in saving you falling from the board.
Measure the Length of Your SUP Paddle: If you are having an adjustable paddle, then measure it in order to fit you. This can be done easily by standing the paddle next to you and raising your arm straight up next to your head. Your fingers should just clasp over the handle with an extended arm.
How to Go Straight on Your SUP: Some of the points listed below can be followed to achieve this:
- Have your knees slightly bent with your back straight
- Keep your head lifted and focus on where you want to go
- Place the paddle in water towards the front of the board and pull it back towards your feet
- Keep the paddle as close as possible to the board
- Every few strokes, ensure you swap your hands so you don't go round in circles
- What to Do If You Fall: Try inculcating a warrior spirit in yourself. Every time you fall, try getting up. If you fall again, get back again. Just remember to laugh and smile in all the adverse circumstances.
That’s all. Enough of having theoretical knowledge. Now is the time to go out. Use and test the knowledge which you have gained.